Behind The Book Cover- The Making of the New Seven Keys To Marketing Genius

23.7.06 ·

Maybe you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but most people do. And if you are creating a marketing book it is doubly important to set the standard. I created the cover of The Seven Keys to Marketing Genius: The Complete Guide To Increasing Your Marketing IQ myself. I had the book written for about 4 years and kept procrastinating over various issues. One of them was the cover. So I designed, and re-designed, and redesigned the cover and created this vision of lovliness to your left. Not bad for a first go at it. I'm glad I went ahead and published the book and stopped waiting for everything to be perfect, or for one of my designer friends to have the time to work on it for me. My life has changed since I published this book (as opposed to when I had written it and had not published it yet). Many doors have been opened to me and I have received great reactions from people when I pull out a book with my name on it. I was blessed to have my good friend William Good of Nexdesign Studios design the cover for my follow up book: Marketing The Church: How to Communicate Your Church's Purpose and Passion in a Modern Context. As you can see, this one looks much better and more professional. People are impressed I wrote a book, but now they are doubly impressed because it looks like a real book too. I recently launched CMP University (an online marketing certification course) and I am using the Seven Keys book as the text. I have also been talking and sharing my first book with more people. The thing is I am a little embarrassed by the cover. That brings us to this past week. I was able to "kidnap" my buddy Will once again to design this sweet new cover. You can see him at left working on it. I am very excited about the new cover and am also inspired to add some more content, especially on the use of Internet marketing. Don't worry, I won't procrastinate this time. I am excited to get this stuff written (it's already in my head) so I can publish the book with my new cover. So here it is in all it's pristine glory. Let me know what you think. (Click on the images to enlarge)

5 comments:

Donna said...
Wed Jul 26, 09:24:00 PM CDT  

YAY! I like this cover MUCH better... ain't it great to hook-up with people who can HELP YOU!

Donna Payne – Head Coach & Chief Web Goddess
Web Development, Coaching & Marketing for Your Practice
Office 419 884-2997, Fax 484 231-3041

Web Coach Tip: Learn Time & Money Saving Techniques that everyone should know when working with a web designer. Download your FREE Quick-Start Web workbook at http://TheWebCoach.net

Anonymous said...
Wed Jul 26, 10:51:00 PM CDT  

Michael,

I must say I like the book cover (it has a much more mature feel about it), but it does give me a high "Target feel". I know this may be only the case for us Aussies.....

Check this site:http://www.target.com.au/html/homepage/home.htm.

Anonymous said...
Thu Jul 27, 05:41:00 AM CDT  

Micheal and Will,

This cover looks great. It "professionalizes" the book more as you alluded too in an earlier post. I know you're going to go far with it. And truly, sometimes, you just have to "get started".

Best,
Jennifer April
www.all-natural-dog-treat.com, your guide to resources and tips for canine care, recipes for healthy canine treats and fun.

Michael Daehn said...
Thu Jul 27, 10:25:00 AM CDT  

Marc,

Ya- it looks like the target ads here in the states too. Is that a bad thing? (PS- I don't think it is, guess why)

Anonymous said...
Thu Jul 27, 02:31:00 PM CDT  

I like the way you continue to evolve & grow with the feedback you're enjoying from the BETA marketing course. Great new look all round. Definately on target (pun intended). Irene
Motivate - Appreciate - Celebrate! Wherever business knots you up - we relax knotty backs. Toronto's scendsational knotty back heroes - In My Hands http://www.inmyhands.ca

About this blog

Site Sponsors